In ancient Vedas, neem tree is referred to “Sarva Roga Nirvarini” – one capable of curing every illness and ailments. It has been used in India since thousands of years and is used extensively in many Ayurveda medicines for its disease fighting properties.
Neem oil is derived by pressing the seed kernels of the neem tree. It is an excellent moisturizing oil and contains various compounds that have insecticidal and medicinal properties. It is used as a main ingredient in many skin and hair care cosmetics.
Below are a few easy home remedies for everyday use
2. Neem oil mask : Mix 1 tbsp of neem oil with 2 tbsp of french clay and a few drops of lavender oil. Apply the mask to the skin and let it sit for about 40 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
3. For healthy hair : Massage neem oil on your hair roots without breaking your hair strands. This will take care of your hair thinning problems as well and dandruff.
4. To get rid of Lice: Heat 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil or Olive Oil or Sesame on low heat. Add Neem Oil to it. Heat for a few more minutes. Allow to cool and store in bottle. Apply the mixture to your hair and massage into scalp. Leave for a few hours and wash with shampoo. Repeat once every week for 4-5 weeks. Lice will be dead and dandruff gone (or reduced). Your hair will look shiny and healthy.
5. For Blackheads: In case you have a very sensitive skin and suffering from blackheads, dilute neem oil with water and apply it over the blackheads. Make sure that that you don’t use more than 2-3 drops of neem oil. Applying this regularly will help you in getting rid of blackheads and also prevent them from coming back.
6. For athlete’s foot, add 15 ml neem oil to a tub of warm water and soak your feet in the mixture.
7. To treat abrasions and wounds on the skin, mix one part neem oil to five parts aloe vera gel. Rub into the wound or cut to treat it. Use this mixture two times a day on affected areas.
8. For dandruff and dry scalp: Mix the neem oil with your existing shampoo by adding a few drops, or make a mixture of half shampoo and half neem oil and rub it into your hair. Let the mixture soak into your head, and then shampoo your hair. Repeat this procedure once every week until the lice are gone. Mixing neem oil with shampoo is also good for other scalp issues such as dandruff and dry scalp.
9. Hand wash : Add a small amount of neem oil to regular liquid soap to add sanitizing strength
10. Mosquito repellent : Add 10% of neem oil to your lamp oil and allow it to burn. The odour of neem oil from this will ward off the mosquitoes.
11. To prevent insect bites: To make your own insect repellent, mix 2 mL of neem oil into 100 mL of a carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil. Rub the mixture in a thin layer on exposed skin. Reapply at least every 12 hours.
12. For acne: Mix 1/2 tsp neem oil with 8 oz. aloe vera or grape seed oil and apply to affected areas
13. For skin problems: Use neem oil to treat dry, scaly skin as well as skin conditions like eczema, athlete’s foot, psoriasis, rashes, and even wrinkles. When you use neem oil on the skin, dilute the oil first. Try a small amount of neem oil mixed with grape seed oil, such as 1 tbsp to 5 oz. neem oil. Adjust the mixture as needed if skin becomes irritated.