Meet Matcha, the Super Food. Global awareness about the numerous benefits of Matcha may be very recent, but it actually dates way back to the 12th century when Zen monks recognized and perfected the art of making Matcha. They knew that it has valuable medicinal properties which have now been proven by modern science.
Matcha is a special kind of green tea from Japan.
It basically comes from the same tea plants that produce green or black tea however the difference lies in its growth style, harvest and processing.
- About 4-5 weeks before harvest, the plants are covered from the top to shade the leaves from direct sunlight.
- This is done to boost the plants’ chlorophyll levels (which turns the leaves a darker, vibrant shade of green), and increase the production of L-Theanine, an amino acid that occurs naturally in the tea.
- Once picked and dried, the leaves are ground into fine bright green Matcha tea powder.
- Rich in Antioxidants: One cup of matcha tea has as many antioxidants as 10 cups of regular green tea!
- Helps in relaxation
- Helps burn fat by increasing the rate of metabolism
- Improves immunity
- Aids in digestion
- Promotes increased alertness and awareness
- High chlorophyll levels : Powerful detoxifiers of blood
- Controls bold pressure and cholesterol
- Helps fight cancer
- Increased Energy levels and endurance
Photo Courtesy: mymatcha